Yesterday was quite the adventure for our family. Dean left Koutiala to escort an injured volunteer (Dr. Dan, a pediatrician from NC) to Bamako where he was then flown out to Spain for medical treatment. Dr. Dan fell over the weekend and injured his knee. He was stabilized here in Koutiala and seemed to be recovering rather well, praise God. Originally Dr. Dan was to fly from Mali to a couple other countries where he would volunteer before returning home. However his injury prohibited continuing with this plan and after much debate and discussion with his evacuation insurance representatives, it was determined he should be medically escorted to Madrid, Spain for diagnostic evaluation. Dean accompanied him on the 5 hour bumpy ride to Bamako. All went well and Dr. Dan safely arrived at the airport and as far as we know is now in Spain getting medical care.
As if that wasn't adventure enough, part two of Dean's journey began this morning when he boarded the local bus that returned him to Koutiala around 1:00 PM. He says, "It was better than a 'chicken bus' -- I had my own seat." Actually, he thought the ride was fun and was even able to read along the way.
Meanwhile, Gracie and I continued about our regular day -- I was at the hospital and Gracie was with Marte (the nanny). It was a long day; we didn't make it home until 6:00 PM. The hospital actually wasn't that busy for a Monday, but still little things here and there take time to complete and before you know it the day is gone. Upon returning from the long day, I was pleasantly surprised and relieved at an unexpected dinner invitation from Angela, the guesthouse supervisor. Gracie and I enjoyed a wonderful home-cooked meal with Angela and her family before turning in early for much needed rest.
Now, Dean and I are sitting outside using the neighbor's (Angela's) internet while Gracie naps. Today is a holiday here so we have the afternoon free. And tonight we are going to a local "restaurant." We will see how that goes...
Reunited
DD&G
Sounds like you are having a wonderful adventure. I like the pictures, especially of Gracie playing the dirt. I just returned from Phoenix where I participated in Darol and Cheryl's baptism! It was a very God filled visit. You are in my prayers daily.
ReplyDeleteLove, Papa Jeff